It was always a challenge for me to make dinner. Don’t know why… Maybe it’s because I prefer to bake over cooking. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a toddler to make dinner for yet?!
That said, for some other strange reason I have felt a desire to cook more now that I have a newborn. Maybe it’s because I’m home with her right now… Maybe it’s because I’m always hungry… Who knows!?
- 3/4 c. chopped sweet peppers
- 1/2 c. chopped onion (I used 1 tsp onion powder instead)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used two HUGE pieces of garlic)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 c. uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (couldn’t find it? maybe I’m out…who knows? I googled a substitution and used oregano instead)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground tumeric
- 12 oz. fresh or frozen shrimp, thawed, peeled and halved (I used the lobster we had)
- 6 oz. canned or pouched wild-caught pink salmon, flaked (left this out)
- 1 c. frozen peas
Grease crock pot and add all veggies except peas. In a medium sauce pan, combine chicken broth, rice and spices. Heat until boiling, then pour over veggies in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. After about 3 hours, add the shrimp, salmon and peas. Once done, let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
When you’re finished you’ll have something yummy…resembling this!!! Mmmm yum!